Monday, September 24, 2012

II. CPTG Yogurt

I've been buying plain Greek yogurt and flavoring it myself for a while now, but was only recently given the idea to use essential oils to do so. Today, my kitchen looked a bit like the laboratory of a mad scientist with bottles of essential oils,  food coloring, and other assorted ingredients and half-finished mixtures scattered about. (This was a nap-time activity today, but I will definitely let my two year old help with all the mixing next time. He'll love it!) There were some good, some meh, and some great results, the best of which I'll share below. 


For each flavor I used 1/2 cup of nonfat plain Greek yogurt and just over 1 teaspoon xagave plus the other ingredients listed. I like the Glad snack containers because they're just the right size, though I obviously used a larger bowl for mixing, then transferred the yogurt into them. I also used food coloring so I can keep the flavors straight in my fridge and because my son likes colored food, but labels would work just as well, or you could leave them all white for yogurt lottery fun. ;)

Grapefruit (my new favorite): 3 drops CPTG grapefruit essential oil + 1 drop red food coloring, opt.
Orange: 3 drops CPTG wild orange essential oil + 1 drop red and 2 drops yellow food coloring, opt.
Lemon: 3 drops CPTG lemon essential oil + 1 drop yellow food coloring, opt.
Lime: 3 drops CPTG lime essential oil + 1 drop green food coloring, opt.
Pumpkin Spice: 1 drop CPTG On Guard essential oil blend (no more than 1 drop or the cinnamon is way too powerful) + 1/2 Tablespoon pureed pumpkin (or other winter squash; I use banana squash as it tends to have a smoother texture I prefer) + 1 drop red and yellow food coloring, opt. 

Do be aware that these are all-natural flavors and are a bit different than flavored yogurts typically available for purchase. They tend to be sharper, cleaner, bolder flavors, and the citrus oils have a mild bitter aftertaste since they're derived from the rind of the fruit. I really like these "side effects" of flavoring with essential oils, as well as their therapeutic benefits which include but are not limited to: antidepressant, antioxidant, antiviral, anticancer, immune-stimulating and detoxifying. Enjoy!


To purchase the CPTG essential oils I used, please visit: http://www.doterra.myvoffice.com/annettefairchild/

2 comments:

  1. Why don't you get the labels that are oil and water resistant to use? I love your idea using the oils and the greek yogurt. I have only two suggestions: buy organic and stop using the food coloring. That way, you'll have the best yogurt around!

    Food dyes cause a lot of damage to young children and my daughter exhibits signs of ADHD and other things when she has the red dye. It has been linked to Autism and other disorders.

    Just wanted to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like a cute idea. I think a drop of food coloring is a great idea for organization and getting kids (or husbands!) to eat it. Some people are sensitive to dyes, but I am sure you would know if it's an issue in your family. :) Thanks for sharing the experiment- I hope Jonas likes it!

    ReplyDelete